Published in 1925, ‘The Game of Life and How to Play It’, teaches the philosophies of its author, Florence Scovel Shinn. The book reflects on the purpose of life, visualizing what you want and practically setting out to manifest the life that you want.
She holds that ignorance of, or carelessness with the application of various ‘Laws of Metaphysics’ (see below) can bring about undesirable life events, whilst acknowledgement, understanding and consciously utilizing the laws for what you want will bring you the life you want.
Here are some of her main teachings that link up with other articles on this site including the teachings of Neville Goddard and the Hermetic Principles:
- The Law of Expectancy: Shinn emphasizes the power of the imagination to bring about life events: “Whatever man feels deeply or images clearly, is impressed upon the subconscious mind, and carried out in minutest detail.”
- The power of words: “Man’s words played a leading part in the game of life. ‘By your words ye are justified and by your words ye are condemned’.”
- The Divine Pattern and Intuition: Shinn says that one must always ask for the “right” circumstance, or the “Divine selection,” and not to ask for specifics.
- The Law of Substitution: According to Florence Scovel Shinn, sometimes our desires are misdirected: “Many people are in ignorance of their true destinies and are striving for things and situations which do not belong to them, and would only bring failure and dissatisfaction if attained.”
- The Law of Karma: the Law of Karma is also known as the Law of Cause and Effect: “Whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap.” This means that whatever man sends out in word or deed, will return to him; what he gives, he will receive.
- The Law of Non Resistance: The Law of Non Resistance may be considered a sensible corollary to the Law of Karma, i.e. do not react to a negative situation with more negativity, as that will bring back more harm down the track.
- The Law of Forgiveness: Though Karma is a powerful law, Shinn explains that the Law of Forgiveness or Grace is a higher law.
- The Law of Use: Shinn explains that a gift is a better investment than a savings account. “Many people are in ignorance of the fact that gifts and things are investments, and that hoarding and saving invariably lead to loss.”
- The Law of Love: Shinn quotes Jesus when she explains the importance of love. “Everyone on this planet is taking their initiation in love. “A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another.” (taken from Wiki).
View a recent breakdown of the book by Joseph Rodrigues and the full audio book below:
More can be read on Life Purpose here and Natural Law here.